Thursday, November 08, 2007

More on Public Housing Design

I've brought this up a lot.
If you want to get up to speed, check here, here, and here.

Now, architecture critic Inga Saffron remarks on a new Philly development that supposedly embodies the new urbanist design principles previously discussed at length.

The houses, by architect David Slovic, look modern but act old. You won't find any garage doors marring the street facades here. There's a screened interior parking court, as well as optional rear garages. At the same time, there is a convenient alternative that benefits the larger neighborhood: two spaces in the parking court are devoted to PhillyCarShare. Maybe that's why few buyers have opted for the garages.

When I go home to the Illadelph for Thanksgiving, maybe I'll head up to Fairmount to check 'em out.

I'll still call this my featured post for awhile... I'm spent.

No comments: