Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Deposition Depot (updated)

I spent too much time yesterday trying to figure out how to upload large deposition files to blogger. Thankfully, WDSU has done a lot of that work for me. They have large portions of Greg Meffert's deposition online and available.

These links are to 'dsu's pdf downloads...

Pages 1-100 are here.
Pages 101-200 are here.
Pages 201-332 are here.

There are other loose bits floating around. As I'm able to corral them in a linkable fashion, I'll be aggregating them here on this post so that everything's all in one place.

And if you find something interesting reading through the deposition, please do drop us a line at WCBF.

Also, if you'd like to sneakily print out a big copy for me on your giant office machine, I will totally not reimburse your company. But I will buy you a beer. Deposition kegger anyone?

UPDATE: Meffert's lawyers have dropped their attempt to reseal the deposition. It is now all completely public and should be available for our reading pleasure shortly.

UPDATE 04/08:

When I started this blog, I always dreamed I'd get reader comments like this:


It's 3:55am and I just completed reading each pdf and started looking for the 1000 page download because I'm a masochist. Summary and observations following.

You have to hand it to the attorney, those suckers can drum on you forever until you're about ready to admit to whatever they want to hear.

In these downloads every once in awhile Greg would have several clever comebacks and really get under the attorneys skin - the comment about the refrigerator was priceless; Greg's a scumball but even I have to admit that was funny.

In short, Greg came off at best as utterly incompetent. He tried to push the image of that he was so overworked and got 300 emails a day I don't remember these things, etc.

The attorney really raked him over the coals of his website reporting his accomplishments with the cameras and made him admit it was BS.

The attorney did try to trap him multiple times into having him explain what other people thought/meant/said without him being there - this didn't work out for the attorney very well.

Greg needs to learn to pause for his attorneys to object, he was far to fast with his answers which I could see him getting himself into further trouble.

As far as Gregs skills as a manager in IT, let me explain no one is this friggin clueless. Greg also shows in several instances he understand budgets, he understands some key technology aspects, etc. But this was one of his pet projects, no one in his position wouldn't brush themselves up on these things due to the cost, the questions they would get asked and the eventual notoriety if it worked.

He practically admitted to writing the RFP for the original vendor of the cameras, which is not a best practice and then for him not to have an email trail about modifications to the RFP and those that need to sign off on the RFP like the City Attorney and other approving authorities/stakeholders for that kind of money and cross department initiative, is ridiculous.

Meffert is using the same old tired politician game, I don't know, I don't recall, I didn't read the entire email, etc. He did have some good counter points about Drake and the budgets, I have my team provide the same info and it has nothing to do with budgets, the are just giving me projections.

There is alot he is hiding, that is for sure and you can tell that by the timing of the contract and the players involved.

Full disclosure: I knew Chris Drake and others at the City Hall IT dept personally during this period and Chris is a heck of a guy. I can assure you Chris was at best a pawn which pretty much is proven in the depo - Chris did what he was told, he's not the brains behind this - that would be Meffert and St. Pierre.

Good stuff. There's nothing like combing through depositions at 4 in the morning... Jury is still out on Mr. Drake though. We'll see how things turn up. It does look to me like Meffert was one of the kingpins, but then again, that's who they were deposing so of course questions are going to be geared toward illuminating his role.

12 comments:

Alan said...

which 100 pages is your priority

E said...

No priorities... how about you start at page 100 and see what's interesting from there?

GENTILLY YARD ART said...

a beer?

it's a beer more than ms. washington had to pay for public records.

has anybody looked into that?

if you keep this up im gonna have to donate my crumbs to this site.

hope your happy.

you just killed pbs and wwoz and wwno's crumb monies from my crumby tithe fund.

E said...

aw, i like wwoz and wwno.

Dambala said...

just define Logistix....that is the skeleton key.

Anonymous said...

It's 3:55am and I just completed reading each pdf and started looking for the 1000 page download because I'm a masochist. Summary and observations following.

You have to hand it to the attorney, those suckers can drum on you forever until you're about ready to admit to whatever they want to hear.

In these downloads every once in awhile Greg would have several clever comebacks and really get under the attorneys skin - the comment about the refrigerator was priceless; Greg's a scumball but even I have to admit that was funny.

In short, Greg came off at best as utterly incompetent. He tried to push the image of that he was so overworked and got 300 emails a day I don't remember these things, etc.

The attorney really raked him over the coals of his website reporting his accomplishments with the cameras and made him admit it was BS.

The attorney did try to trap him multiple times into having him explain what other people thought/meant/said without him being there - this didn't work out for the attorney very well.

Greg needs to learn to pause for his attorneys to object, he was far to fast with his answers which I could see him getting himself into further trouble.

As far as Gregs skills as a manager in IT, let me explain no one is this friggin clueless. Greg also shows in several instances he understand budgets, he understands some key technology aspects, etc. But this was one of his pet projects, no one in his position wouldn't brush themselves up on these things due to the cost, the questions they would get asked and the eventual notoriety if it worked.

He practically admitted to writing the RFP for the original vendor of the cameras, which is not a best practice and then for him not to have an email trail about modifications to the RFP and those that need to sign off on the RFP like the City Attorney and other approving authorities/stakeholders for that kind of money and cross department initiative, is ridiculous.

Meffert is using the same old tired politician game, I don't know, I don't recall, I didn't read the entire email, etc. He did have some good counter points about Drake and the budgets, I have my team provide the same info and it has nothing to do with budgets, the are just giving me projections.

There is alot he is hiding, that is for sure and you can tell that by the timing of the contract and the players involved.

Full disclosure: I knew Chris Drake and others at the City Hall IT dept personally during this period and Chris is a heck of a guy. I can assure you Chris was at best a pawn which pretty much is proven in the depo - Chris did what he was told, he's not the brains behind this - that would be Meffert and St. Pierre.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you become a dumping ground for all sorts of anonymous people working in politics. Really, you should just work for the Times-Picayune. All admiration from here.

E said...

That's very kind of you thanks. I don't think I'd be as good a print journalist as I am a blogger - it would be a tough learning curve for me I think. Lots more rules, rules I wouldn't like.

Anonymous said...

Chris Drake just a pawn? BULLSHIT. He wrote his own funeral and deserves to be behind bars just as much as Meffert & St. Pierre.

Anonymous said...

I'm the 4am poster.

Thinking Chris had anything more to do with this than merely being a service technician is someone who hasn't thought it through. Is it possible he was neck deep in this corruption, of course however is it likely, not really.

The far more likely story or scenario is:

Greg and Mark "conspired" to not only get the work done, but also to get more work pushed to NetMethods, Imagine, Logistix, etc. Who benefited from the crime? Obviously, the more work the vendor provides the more they make on parts, labor, yadda yadda. Greg got a bodyguard, a yacht for use, vacations, plane trips, etc. What did Chris get out of this?

Chris is a body, the vendor makes a percentage on every hour he works. Chris does not make policy, he works under the direction of his boss the vendor and the vendor works for the Meffert.

I am not saying Chris might not have been suspicious of what was happening or was completely ignorant. It is the same reason middle managers and employees for companies like Stanford, Maddoff and other companies are not charged unless they receive direct benefit from the crime.

St. Pierre and Meffert are the decision makers, they didn't have Chris kill someone they asked for his professional skillset to determine the best equipment to purchase. Then they asked him to interact with Dell.

Chris had ZERO authority to enter into a negotiation or sign a contract thereby removing him from liability. Chris will certainly be called to for a deposition and let me assure you, he has no dog in this hunt and has no reason to be completely open to not only the emails that were sent, but the conversations and direction he was given.

Anonymous said...

29047126483369175 I play dofus Replica Watches for one year, I Replica Rolex Watches want to get some Replica Watch kamas to buy Replica Chanel Watches item for my character. So, I search "Replica Swiss Watches" on google and found many website. As Exact Replica Graham Watch the tips from the forum, I just review the Swiss Replica Watches websites and choose some Replica Montblanc Watches quality sites to Replica Cartier Watches compare the price, and go to their Replica Breguet Watches online support to make Replica Breitling Watches the test. And Last Chaos Gold I decide to use Replica BRM Watch at the end. And Tag Heuer Replica Watch that is the Replica IWC Watch beginning..

wedding dresses said...

Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Every girl has her most beautiful moment in the life just when you wear your own wedding dresses in your wedding.You can visit our wedding dress shop.Cheap wedding dresses have good quality. You can find ball gown wedding dresses,mother of the bride dresses,mermaid wedding dresses,flower girl dresses,strapless wedding dresses,a line wedding dresses,plus size wedding dresses,column wedding dresses,beach wedding dresses,empire wedding dresses,tea length wedding dresses,bridesmaid dresses,cocktail dresses,evening dresses,prom dresses your dream. Get your wedding dress in our bridal shop. Finally,I hope you have a happy wedding.