Sunday, June 28, 2009

One more on MJ

I've been most struck by the youtube videos I've seen of that period between 1977-1981 as he transitioned from the Jackson Five to the Jacksons to Michael Jackson the solo superstar. That time when he emerged from adolescence but before he started to mutilate himself.

I'm not always happy about the way these kinds of pop culture stories get overdone but in the case of Michael Jackson, his character has come to mean so many different things to so many different people. And he represents so much that is wonderful and tragic in American society.

These two videos are great.

Here's Michael at 18 with the Jacksons. What I like about this clip aside from the disco spacesuit is seeing him separate himself from the family. His microphone stand is lined up in line with his brothers but his energy carries him to the front of the stage, in front of and apart from his band.



And here is a 20/20 report about Michael at 21 that seems to foreshadow his struggles over the next decades. I can't embed it but I highly recommend it.

No comments: