Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cold Case

Following up on a tip, I called Congressman Cao's Washington office to ask how many open constituent service case files were inherited from Congressman Jefferson's office. I'd been told that it was a comically low single digit number.

I was able to speak to Cao's new Chief of Staff, Clayton Hall.

I asked him to confirm that what I'd heard.

But before he answered that question he described a little bit about how open constituent service cases are supposed to be handed over. It isn't just a manila folders changing hands. Rather, the outgoing staff sends a letter to the relevant constituent to ask whether or not to transfer the open case to the next Congressman's staff. Some say yes and others say no.

After putting me on hold to get the exact number of open cases transferred from Jefferson to Cao he came back with a precise answer:

"Zero."


Jefferson's staff told Cao's staff that they had closed all of their open case files. And I suppose that that's entirely possible.

But it's kind of hard to believe.

Generally, a Congressional office has a hundred or more ongoing constituent service files open at any one time. The 2nd Congressional District, because of all the individual issues people have with different federal agencies, would generally have more open cases than most other districts. New Congressman also receive a high number of inquiries at the beginning of their term. So while it's hard to pinpoint precisely what a "normal" caseload would be for Cao, right now the number of open cases in the hundreds.

7 comments:

Civitch said...

And in a totally related tangent, CM Head arrived in her office - which was recently vacated by Jefferson protege Renee Gill Pratt - to find an office devoid of a single file. Of any kind. Nada.

E said...

HA!

Red said...

Civitch, that is completely believable and completely disgusting. I lived in Gill Pratt's district before moving to Treme. She was the most incompetent, disconnected, unconcerned elected official I interviewed immediately after the storm - and that's saying a lot.

The Jefferson Dynasty - there is a special place in hell for the sins they've committed on the people of this district and Central City in specific.

katherine said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sarah

http://www.lyricsdigs.com

katherine said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sarah

http://www.lyricsdigs.com

jeffrey said...

Well... okay, I guess. But you do have to consider your source isn't exactly an impartial witness either.

Did anyone ask him if all the keyboards were intact, for example?

Anonymous said...

29047126483369175 I play dofus Replica Watches for one year, I Replica Rolex Watches want to get some Replica Watch kamas to buy Replica Chanel Watches item for my character. So, I search "Replica Swiss Watches" on google and found many website. As Exact Replica Graham Watch the tips from the forum, I just review the Swiss Replica Watches websites and choose some Replica Montblanc Watches quality sites to Replica Cartier Watches compare the price, and go to their Replica Breguet Watches online support to make Replica Breitling Watches the test. And Last Chaos Gold I decide to use Replica BRM Watch at the end. And Tag Heuer Replica Watch that is the Replica IWC Watch beginning..