Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No, I don’t. Oh, God, I don’t laugh at any of this.

Make sure you read Kevin Allman interview with Inspector General Robert Cerasoli.

But I think some of the most interesting pieces were left for the internet (including the post title):


There are a lot of people that are engaged in the business community, there are a lot of non-profits that are engaged. But it’s not up to them; it’s up to the government. This attitude here, of putting everything into the hands of non-profits to do, instead of having the government do, has gotta end.

The government has to stand up for its responsibility. And that will initially, by the way, be counter-intuitive. It’s counter-intuitive. For us to go public and say, “We want to take all of the government and put it under the mayor and the council,” people might step back right now and say, “Oh, God, I don’t want to do that.” But in the future, you have to, because there’s no accountability here, there’s no “the buck stops here, it’s our responsibility, how come this isn’t being done?”


I agree. This city needs to expand the capacity of municipal government.

While that might be a difficult sell for a discredited administration like Ray Nagin's, it won't be so objectionable if it's proposed by a leader that can first prove that the government we do have is capable of functioning effectively and efficiently.

3 comments:

jeffrey said...

The very quote that you highlight in the title of this post is the biggest red flag for me when it comes to Mr. Cerasoli. I cannot emphasize this enough. It makes me very suspicious.

E said...

how do you interpret it?

jeffrey said...

I actually planned to write a longer and of course very funny post about this and the The Gambit feature on Cerasoli as a whole. But I haven't had much time to write long posts lately so here's the jist.

There are several points about Cerasoli in that article which strain credulity. He takes a full time job in New Orleans but doesn't take up permanent lodging and sleeps on an air mattress.

He purposely doesn't have a car. In the article he provides some bullshit explanation for this but clearly he is paranoid about someone asking, "Well what do you drive?" in the wake of his report on the city vehicles.

He goes out of his way to impress upon us that he personally disapproves of the "decadence" of the French Quarter and life in New Orleans in general.

All of these things strike me as an unnecessary and calculated pose. And that's the most charitable explanation I can come up with. Because, frankly, I don't believe that people like the persona Cerasoli intends to project here actually exist in real life. Or... if they do exist, I suspect that they lack the emotional maturity or empathy that would merit the responsibility for judging other people's behavior vis-a-vis ethics.

He's either a) a complete phony or b)a cartoonish half-human.

Either way I don't trust the guy.