Monday, June 23, 2008

Ray Boudreaux

Ray Boudreaux was found guilty today of attempted manslaughter and aggravated battery for several stabbings in a fight on Bourbon Street.

Ray was an honor student at Tulane and a running back on the football team.

He was a friendly acquaintance of mine, a really nice guy. I liked him.

I'm upset about this.

I was thinking about Ray Boudreaux over the weekend and remembered a cringe-inducing story from my freshman year of college.

Ray and I shared an honors-level African Diaspora course that focused on African American political discourse after the Civil War. I enrolled in the course as an honors student and history major whose favorite topic is the history of African American insurgency.

Everyone else in the class was a football player or member of a fraternity or sorority.

Unbeknown to me, either the professor or the class had developed a nice reputation for itself amongst privileged Tulane social circles as an easy 'A.'

This became glaringly apparent on the first day of class. Our professor stood in front of the classroom and asked "Does anyone know who Booker T. Washington is?"

Of course I'd heard of Booker T. Washington, the political philosopher and renaissance man who (roughly) advocated for the acceptance of social marginalization in exchange for African American economic independence. I was taught about Mr. Washington in my Philadelphia public school.

The room fell silent, however.

The professor asked again.

More crickets.

Finally, a light bulb lit inside the mind of one of my sorority girl classmates.

"Oh! Didn't he invent the peanut?"

I died on the inside. I desperately looked around for someone else other than the professor who grasped how pathetic and hilarious that answer was.

I always knew Ray Boudreaux to be a quiet guy, but he had a grin on his face that matched my own.

9 comments:

Maitri said...

Why can't the justice system use similar evidence and testimony to put away real criminals in this city? If he were a real threat, would anyone have testified against him?

I hate this because I believe him. No, I wasn't there during the incident, but his words ring true to me. What an f-ed up world this is.

Anonymous said...

I am Ray Boudreaux's first cousin right here in New York. I know what kind of person he is. He would never hurt anyone. I didn't have to be there to know this. He was put in harms way when attempting to make peace. No one likes to fight one on one now a days. It's easier to jump someone. So what was he suppose to do. He had to fight to get out. Think of his mind state, SURVIVAL. I wish things could have happened differently. I wish they didn't mess with the tape so he looks like the bad guy. I know my cousin. We all lived in the same house together growing up. He is a sweet, very smart and very respectable man. He would have never hurt those people on purpose.

Anonymous said...

I am a former teacher of Ray and I can say that I have never taught a more well mannered, and good intentioned student in all of my 24years in education. I feel for Ray and pray he gets justice. He is a threat to no one. He was trying to save a life.
Jeannie Cormier

Anonymous said...

Ray Boudreaux Stabs
When a person acts like an animal, and starts stabbing everyone around them, then I would also have to convict him too. An animal needs to be locked up. Something is wrong with him.

Anonymous said...

Ray Boudreaux Stabs
When a person acts like an animal, and starts stabbing everyone around them, then I would also have to convict him too. An animal needs to be locked up. Something is wrong with him.

Anonymous said...

Ray Boudreaux Stabs
When a person acts like an animal, and starts stabbing everyone around them, then I would also have to convict him too. An animal needs to be locked up. Something is wrong with him.

Anonymous said...

Ray played football w/ me over at Tulane and I could never have imagined that he would be involved w/ anything like this because in my eyes he was an average kind of guy...in fact almost too nice to be a football player.
All I can say is that I wish my teammate and friend the best in this trying time for him and his family. **D-Nev**

cmorris91 said...

i am a former player at tulane along with ray in just hope he keeps his head up and stay in prayers cuz ill keep him in mine............. 1 love

Anonymous said...

I had the privilege of meeting Ray at Tulane as well. I did not know him well, but the times that I did talk to him he was a very nice guy. What I admired most about him was his honesty. He made a lasting impression on me and I pray that he is ok where ever he is.