Sunday, May 04, 2008

In Broad Nightlife

Last night was an A+.

What a show!

I wonder if casual listeners really get the political statements hidden not-so-subtly in M.I.A's work. Like when someone hears this . . .




. . . and gets bent out of shape because it's "violent."


Anyways, I danced till dawn and a good time was had by all.

-

Some people were having a really really good time.

Frenchman Street last night was a sight to behold.

I know how it goes in this town but this looked more like Burning Man or Bonnaroo.

The police decided not to have any kind of presence and it was strikingly clear.

I won't get specific but you could have purchased any drug you could ever want - and consume it openly in the middle of the street.

-

I don't bring this up to question why Frenchman Street was allowed to become a free zone. It doesn't outrage me. Again, a good time was had by all. (I do think whippets are stupid though)

It's just that...

I remember having read this in the paper the day before.

-

Outraged?

Yes, by the double standard.

4 comments:

The long, long road home,New Orleans said...

I agree, NOPD waste manpower breaking up a funeral march (Gods gonna strike someone down, If I were Riley I would duck) I still stand by the idea of a "protest" second line with thousands of NEw Orleanians. I also suggest they carry tomatoes. If a neighbor comes out and complains they are ready to go.

Gentrification is a death sentence to culture.

GentillyGirl said...

LLRNO,

I'm working on that idea right now.

I just wish there was more interest/outrage over the Treme incident here. This goes far beyond just the breaking up of a Second Line; it is an assault on our way of living here in N.O..

George "Loki" Williams said...

From the NOLA.com piece:
“Snuffing Saturday’s parade was an “attack on the culture,” the same culture that gave birth to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, said Wilson’s longtime friend, Jerome Smith. He found the timing ironic: At about the same time that police had scattered an authentic funeral march, near Esplanade and Claiborne avenues, Jazz and Heritage Festival-goers were lined up behind a band at the Fair Grounds, ready to follow a second-line recreated for tourists.

E said...

Thanks Loki,

This fits into the larger theme, the larger ideology that governs this city.

Development for tourists, culture for tourists, cleanliness and safety for tourists.

The government of New Orleans responds to a constituency of business interests that cater to the tourist economy. While many of the citizens of the city also benefit from working within the economy, I thought that this would be a free market recovery. Let the business community use the free market to expand. This city needs residents. The residents of this city need their government to fix major quality of life issues.

We need to have more than a tourist economy. We need visionary leadership that won't just work to make the city more reliant on tourism money.

This second line spat is so symbolic of the larger problems that have held this city back for decades.