Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Does Arnie mean Eddie?

We shouldn't be all that surprised that Arnie Fielkow isn't running for Mayor.

He clearly doesn't have the stomach for a potentially nasty election. I think the ground for this was laid last February and March when the Councilman couldn't get the votes to pass his contract transparency measure and was totally demoralized. Within days, this widely-circulated rumor was reported by Oyster. He was in full-on sulk mode at the time.

I don't mean for that to sound so disparaging. This is going to be a difficult job for whoever is elected, one that I'd liken to a weekly water-boarding.

I respect the Councilman's decision.

--

Everyone is probably abuzz about who might pounce on the opening.

I think the in the short term, it means that Eddie Sapir looks like a lock to run.

I don't know very much about Mr. Sapir.

What has he been doing since he last held elected office?

If you've got background, please provide it in the comments below.