Friday, May 15, 2009

re: e-maelstrom

From a T-P editorial I largely agree with:

[O]ne thing is clear: The council and its attorneys are trying to keep legitimate public records under wraps simply because they may be embarrassing or offensive. Saving public officials from their own words, however, is not one of the exceptions in the open records law. If the council truly favors transparency, it should stop fighting the release of records to which all Louisianians are clearly entitled.

Get 'em out. Leaks of selective emails make the whole thing just into a political hit on Head. While I'm sure some will say that that's precisely what the request was about in the first place, I'm not sure that remains relevant to the question regarding whether the rest of the emails - which include those belonging to three other Councilors - should be released.

Also I think adrastros' take on this is spot-on.